Friday, December 13, 2013

Time Flies Ms Noud

Time Flies Ms Noud

I just got a piece of junk mail telling me this in a two inch bold headline.  I wouldn't mind so much except that A) No one else at the apartment complex got one,  B)  it was from my doctor's office and C) it was on an over-sized postcard that everyone else could see.  I mean, what would YOU think if your neighbor pulled that out of their mail box and quickly slammed it into a much-too-small-pocket?   "Hmmm...Overdue electric bill?  Terminal disease?  Wow. That's one mean doctor."  I smiled and said "Oh, dental check-up time." 
Seriously though, I'm taking it as a message from God.  For years I have sat around saying things like "As God is my witness Prissy, I will never be poor again".  And "God I really need to exercise more."  And "God I really need to lose weight."  And "God, I should go to New Zealand fly fishing. Why not?"  Since there was no reply I am going to assume that there is no good reason not to go fly fishing in New Zealand. Of course there's really no good reason not to do those other little things I asked for help on, but the New Zealand trip thingy seems more like it would be in the province of  God's bag of tricks.  If He can pull off getting me to exercise and lose weight too, I won't be turning that down.
This all started because it's Christmas and I haven't received one Christmas card yet from my far-flung family and friends.  This year, last week, I went through my address book for the first time in a long time.  After picking up all the torn scraps of paper and envelopes that fell out when I opened it (that's what passes for 'putting you in my address book' to me) I sat down and mailed a Christmas card to everyone in there that I was kinda sure was still alive.  It's now three days later and I have yet to hear back from anyone.  How depressing!  I know people are busy or moving or dead but HEY!  Time Flies!  Don't they know?  Doesn't their doctor warn them?  Of course there's a few other mitigating factors, the biggest of which is the fact that at age seventy-three this is the first time I've ever purposefully done this.  All my other forays into Christmas greetings were frantic replies to cards that had been sent to me making me say "God I really need to answer this person." Suddenly  I thought maybe the card was a message from God!  Then I thought of all the other things I needed to get caught up on, and the easiest was to update my yearly blog.
Whew.  Got that monkey off my back.  Now for that trip to New Zealand - I'm ready God.